ABOUT TESLA: Our mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. With global temperatures rising, the faster we free ourselves from fossil fuel reliance and achieve a zero-emission future, the better. In pursuit of this mission, we make electric vehicles that are not just great EVs, but the best cars, period.
We also produce and install infinitely scalable clean energy generation and storage products that help our customers further decrease their environmental impact. When it comes to achieving our goals, we pride ourselves in accomplishing what others deem impossible.
TESLA Energy Plan is to lead all aspects of new energy power generation, transfer, and use.
Car, pile, light, storage, and load are all connected by energy,
Seamlessly cooperating, freely switching, and unified experience.
Many loyal customers are cultivated by using the powerful energy ecosystem.
TO JOIN OUR PRODUCT R&D INNOVATION CENTER
POWERTRAIN AND ENERGY TEAM
DESIGNING THE FUTURE WITH TESLA
Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer, HV BatteryThe Role
The role requires strong engineering/physics fundamentals and the tenacity to apply that to hands-on problem solving. A team player mentality is critical, as you are the design representation on the ground collaborating with our factory-based colleagues. Tesla moves quickly, so being self-motivated and disciplined is critical. You must be passionate, but direction changes quickly, so you must also be resilient, boundaryless, and ready to adapt all the while being excited to do so.
This role is for the hands-on do-it-yourself type personality wherein you take direct responsibility and direct action; be the first to jump into “driver’s seat” when solving problems. Because you will be, most of the time, the sole Design Team member on-site in a cross-functional manufacturing environment, you must be comfortable being outspoken and assertive while maintaining healthy and trusting working relationships with your peers. This role requires people skills amongst the technical skills.This role requires a chameleon, a high-aptitude, boundaryless “do whatever it takes” even if it’s not a typical mechanical design engineer role. You need to be the person that everyone says “that person is awesome; they know how to get stuff done!” You should be as comfortable with gloves and hard-hat as you are with a keyboard in front of you.
· Serve as local design authority for line launches, design-changes, trials, deviations/dispositions, root-cause analysis, etc. Think like a design-engineer: understand and uphold product function and requirements in your work.
· Support local supply-chain parts readiness & quality, need to wear multiple hats at times and overlap with SIE/Quality teams.
· Sustaining design work including BOM changes, part revisions, drawing revisions, scrappy bench-tests to characterize part/product problems, factory or field teardowns, etc.
· Take over local design responsibility from new product development engineers during production launch, ramp and sustaining phase.
· Collaborate directly with Manufacturing, Process, and Quality to solve yield barriers and scrap issues.
· Create feedback loop between manufacturing and design and make necessary improvement to specs/drawings accordingly.
· Collaborate with process engineering team to create and implement module rework lines, including kicking-off necessary testing to validate these rework methods.
· Fully understand the factory process and equipment.
· First-responder to yield excursions.
· Root-Cause & Corrective Analysis for production issues.
· Battery teardowns for field and factory failures.
· Participate in design review and change control.
· Support new line FATs.
· Disposition of non-conforming material.
· Own product improvements (cost, complexity reductions), scope dependent upon skill level.
· Own and refine product specifications.
· Participate in DFMEAs and support PFMEAs.
· Analyze field reliability data of China market and drive improvements.
· Own basic on-site component and system level testing to support design and specification changes. coordinate large validation testing for changes with global team.
· Visit suppliers for part qualifications, design change reviews, line audits, etc.
· Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, Masters is a plus.
· Minimum 2 years of experience as a design or launch/sustaining engineer, preferably in battery or automotive (high volume).
· Technical fluency spoken and written, English and Mandarin. International study or work experience a plus.
· Strong Engineering fundamentals in heat transfer, fluids, mechanics, and electronics.
· Proficiency in CAD modeling. CATIA V5/V6 experience is a plus but not mandatory.
· Proficiency with statistics and data analysis.
· Demonstrated hands-on abilities (e.g. machine shop skills, technical hobbies/projects, etc.).
· Preferred experience with various manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal stamping, thermoforming, welding/brazing, plating, heat treating, and bonding.
· Preferrred experience in designing for high volume assembly, both manual and automated.
· Preferred experience defining test plans, designing test setups, and analyzing data.
· A detail oriented personality with solid documentation and reporting skills.
· Desire to own a lot and work hard - we have small teams and fast timelines.
Experience with student Formula Vehicle, Solar Car, Formula Baja,HV battery, etc. are a plus.